Some years ago, an experienced yacht owner came to me with a different approach to campaigning a racing yacht. He suggested buying and restoring yacht small enough to fit into a large shipping container. The yacht can then be easily and reasonably inexpensively moved around Europe, and kept in the ‘box’ even in the south of France heat.
Exciting times for us here in Hamble, as our new website goes live today. We're looking forward to sharing more news and developments as they happen. There is plenty going on in the yard too, not just online. Classic 8mR 'Helen' is coming together nicely, ahead of her racing season, and caulking on 'Lutine' is progressing well too. and something else is probably happening too.
An exciting project for the winter at Fairlie Yachting: Lutine of Helford has joined us in the yard for some work. Due to constant moving of topside seams, the owner has asked us to recaulk and spline.
Elements we are attending include:
- Set up scaffolding, build tent over, ensuring no draft
- Cut out old caulking, tapered seam with special sawblade
- Minor replacement of planks affected by freshwater from leaky chainplates
- Re-caulked using tarred marlin, gluing in mahogany spline
- Replacing a few rotten fastenings below waterline
- Repaint using Epifane single part system